whiskeyinthejar

Whiskey in the Jar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Suzanne Brockmann
Progress: 70%

Kyraryker’s quotes

The Secret Life of a Book Blogger

From what I can gather Grey Warden started this and Book Cupidity tagged me :)

How long have you been a blogger?

I never quite feel like the title blogger fits me, I feel more like a "reviewer" because I don't post a lot of promotional stuff but to-may-to/to-mah-to I guess. I started online posting my thoughts on what I read around 2010ish. GRs can be poopy but the relief, ya'll on having a coherent list of book series to reference to.

At what point do you think you'll stop?

I don't think I'll ever completely stop, slow down maybe depending on how busy life gets but I like talking and discovering books too much. I don't have a lot of friends in everyday life that read romance, so BLs and GRs provides me a great circle of people that I would miss.

What's the best thing?

That circle of friends I was just discussing. I love when someone else loves a book as much as I do and we can laugh and cry over certain parts that touched us and I love when we view books in a different light. It helps me examine the story or characters from a different angle and sometimes I can agree on their points and other times I'm like "you crazy, boo!"

What's the worst thing?  What do you do to make it ok?

Someone copying my reviews and trying to pass them off as their own. It's weird and insulting, why, just why? Alerting the awesome book community will at least drive them away for awhile but I wish the onus wouldn't be on us, as apposed to the site to take them down (glaring at you Amazon).

Having snarky people belittle romance genre. I don't exclusive read romance but I do exclusively blog about it, like I mentioned I don't have friends to discuss it with like I do who read Stephen King. Feeling like I have to say "I don't exclusively read romance" feels like a cop out and defensive move and I hate that I want to say it. Any book genre can be broken down to repetitiveness, tropes, and shitty writing. Get off our backs. I make it ok by enjoying the amazing friends I have made on here and enjoying their deep, thoughtful, and intelligent discussions about what we're reading (and the occasional admiration about hot bods).

The fear of being called out by a Badly Behaving Author. I've had an email or two about a review but nothing public enough to have a horde come after me. I hate that any rating below 4 stars is considered bad, my avg rating is 2.90 :/  I guess I make it ok by not being popular enough to have a lot of people care about what I say in my reviews :)

How long does it take you to create/find pictures to use?

Anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes. I don't use them in ARC reviews but I like to change things up occasionally.

Who is your book crush?

I don't really have crushes but I wouldn't mind meeting a Jack Pallas from Something About You by Julie James or a Laird Callum MacGregor from Laird of the Mist by Paula Quinn show up at my door.

What author would you like to have on your blog?

Connie Brockway, Marsha Canham, or Courtney Milan. Their stories and characters reach me like no other. Gah, just thinking about some of their stories has the power to make me weepy; they hit my heart.

What do you wear when you write your blog posts?

Why, what a scandalous question! My not so scandalous answer is jeans/shorts/t-shirt sort of combo.

How long does it take you to prepare?

ARCs I take notes while I read and those reviews take probably an average of 1 hour. If I read a book that doesn't look like it has had a lot of attention and I loved it, probably half hour. It varies for all others, some only get ratings and others inspire me to rant or rave. I'm guessing you can tell which ones take an hour and which ones take 5 mins.

How do you feel about the book blogger community/culture?

I love you all. My romance peeps always provide me with an awesome outlet to receive and share reviews. I have friends who don't read any romance but we're both able to see the value of each other's contributions, Booklikes is the best at this. I love how each person does things different, rather by the amount or content of their posts. I can find value from everyone. Also, thanks soooooo much for ever increasing my tbr, you stinkers!

Outside BLs or GRs, I don't really venture, promotion isn't really my thing and I have seen/experienced some clique-ness.

What do you think one should do to get a successful blog?

Be yourself and blog about what you love, it will shine through. Also, read and comment on others' posts, isn't that the point anyway of wanting to join a community.

Loved reading all your answers and getting to know everyone just a little bit better :)