whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Carolina Moon
Nora Roberts

Kyraryker’s quotes

Menu Monday

A Soup and a Salad for this week :)

Smoke Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup

I used Turkey kielbasa for this and Very, Very, Vanilla soy milk. This was really good but I wouldn't add any salt because the kielbasa provided enough for me (I'm not a salt fan). Was so good on a cold day. The thyme and rosemary made it a nice lighter soup even with the potatoes. Carrots would be a good addition if you wanted more heft.

Taste:  A

Ease to Make:  Very easy took probably 40 mins and most of that is just getting soup to boil and then simmering to cook potatoes.

Red Velvet Brownies with White Chocolate Frosting

These make quite a bit, you use a 9X13 pan, so prepare for a good amount. You use a red velvet cake box mix and then doctor it up a bit. They were good but had a smidgen of the drier box mix taste. Definitely add the white chocolate to the frosting, I think that is what makes these, it melded with the the red velvet taste wonderfully.

Taste: B Sweetly rich

Ease to Make:  Very easy because your base is a box mix. Probably around an hour including brownie cooling off period to frost.

Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Pineapple Salsa

I love shrimp so I'm always looking for different takes on shrimp tacos; they're usually quick and easy to make. I used the whole jalapeno and it definitely spiced up the taco along with the sriracha. This calls for too much butter, I would skip the second tbs of butter it calls for to saute the pineapple in next time. I also used a broccoli, cabbage, and carrot pre-mixed coleslaw. These were good but not a recipe I would keep.

Taste:  B-

Ease to Make:  Super quick and easy, probably around 20mins. Great if you come home tired, want a quick meal, and nothing heavy before bed.

Whole30 Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowl

I loved the taste combo of this one! It's called a breakfast bowl, so I tried it for breakfast but I'm not a big eater in the mornings by any means. I ended up only being able to eat around half of this because I got so full. I usually have an orange, banana, or some such so this made my stomach feel super heavy which I didn't like. I would eat this for lunch or a light dinner next time. If you like a solid breakfast though, this would give you some nice energy.

Taste:  A

Ease to Make:  A bit time consuming because you have to cook the sweet potato first, which takes around 30 mins, I just put it in the oven while I showered. Have to use a food processor too, so not the quietest morning meal if others are trying to sleep in. Other than that, simple to throw together.

Apples and Cheddar Chicken Salad Recipe

This makes a good amount, probably a 4 person meal. I seasoned the chicken with a BBQ seasoning and pan fried them, I thought the BBQ seasoning went great with everything else. I left out the green apples because for some reason my stomach can't handle those but is fine with red delicious. I think I would use cashews instead of walnuts next time too but just because I generally just like those nuts better. Definitely make the dressing this calls for. I used plain greek yogurt, maybe a tbs of mayo, and then of course the honey. The honey mixed with all the other flavors so amazingly! This was a great "meal" salad, will make again.

Taste:  A

Ease to Make:  Obviously, cooking the chicken takes the longest, cubing the cheese, slicing the apples, and mixing together the dressing are all you have to do. Half hour tops.

Buffalo Chickpea Veggie Burgers

These were so GOOD. I loved them! I used Franks Red Hot sauce and an actual egg. I was super impressed with how well they stayed formed. I had some left overs and they stayed good in the fridge for two days and cooked up fine. I wouldn't skip any of the toppings, avocado smash, slaw, and a little drizzle of ranch, as I think all the flavors blended together so well. Even the "ain't a burger without meat" bf thought these tasted pretty good. Filling and tasted great!

Taste:  A+

Ease to Make:  These are fairly easy to make but a bit more time consuming and you'll be a moving and a grooving in the kitchen getting everything done. I think these took around 45mins.

Hope there is at least one recipe that looks good to you all!

Not sure if I'll get a Menu Monday post up next week, as it will be Christmas but something will pop up in the week :)

Happy Holidays, everyone!