whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Guest Reviewer at:  Reading Between the Wines book club

While the Duke Was Sleeping: The Rogue Files
Sophie Jordan
True to You
Jennifer Ryan
Live by the Team
Cindy Skaggs
Dark Under the Cover of Night (Kingdom of the East Angles, #1)
Jayne Castel
The Earl: A Devil's Duke Novel
Katharine Ashe
Progress: 20%

Kyraryker’s quotes

Mish mash of genres

A Most Extraordinary Pursuit - Juliana  Gray

This book kind of defies convention, it's historical mystery, splash of romance, paranormal, and time travel. It is also, most definitely, a starter book; we get an introduction to characters and the arc here but you will be left with more questions than answers.

This is labeled as #1 in the series, although there is .5, which I was wishing I had read because for the first 20% of this, I felt hopelessly lost. However, I'm not sure there are elements from the .5 book that would help clue you in for this one. If anyone who has read .5 could give an answer if reading the first would help here, would appreciate the comments.

The paranormal factor (if curious what this is

our heroine is haunted/accompanied by Queen Victoria mostly and occasionally her father and maybe her mother

(show spoiler)

really threw me for a loop, it is never fully explained and felt pretty awkward at times.

I want to say this is more historical mystery and travel with occasional leanings toward attraction, connection, and romance but there is no ending HEA. The story is told in first person from our heroine and she is not a forthcoming narrator about her feelings or past. Our hero is the affable with a sense of hidden depths mystery man that we never fully get to know.

The time travel element is hinted at in the prologue and then you kind of forget about it until towards the end where the beginning arc for it is started.

Look, you will definitely end up with more questions than answers and a sort of HFN(I'm not ever sure I can call it that) as this is more starter book, you'll have to read the next in the series to get answers (hopefully! I haven't read the next yet).

The writing is pretty engaging but I didn't feel the closest to the characters as I said, first person and not forthcoming. I am going to read the next in the series though because the historical mystery (myths and time travel!) has captured my attention.