whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Guest Reviewer at:  Reading Between the Wines book club

Someone To Love (A Westcott Novel)
Mary Balogh

Kyraryker’s quotes

A bit paint-by-numbers

A Daring Arrangement  - Joanna Shupe

The basis for this is a fake engagement, which I can usually get behind but the heroine was in "luv" with another man for over half of story which is what I can't usually get behind. I had a really hard time feeling it between the hero and heroine. The hero felt a little same old, same old and his family relationship with his mother and sister had them feeling like caricature villains. The heroine had some incredible obtuse moments with not understanding how situations could be dangerous to her and why she might not want to fully blacken her reputation.

I really enjoyed the different Knickerbocker time period and the author did a great job describing the over-the-top grandeur. Relationships between characters felt forced or didn't flow well to me but there was something to the author's writing, I just need it to break free from the paint-by-numbers feel.