whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Stephen King
Progress: 50%

Kyraryker’s quotes

Present or past tense?

I'm reading a romance genre book that is using first person, present tense. Romance has generally been written in third person, past tense. The last ten years or so, there has been a trend in contemporary, especially New Adult, for first person povs and now one of the friends in the buddy read I'm doing told me that present tense is now common in new contemps.

I've looked through my bookshelf and saw that in fantasy and some YA, I've liked books that are categorized as present tense. I don't know, it doesn't seem to work for me in romance. I'm not a huge fan of first person pov either, so the combo is really hard to read for me. I feel like I can't get into the story and I'm wondering if it is just because I'm conditioned for past tense because the vast majority of romance was and has been written that way.

Am I just an old dog that can't learn a new trick? How do you all feel about present vs. past tense or third person vs. first person pov? Do you like/dislike tense and pov depending on genre?