whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Guest Reviewer at:  Reading Between the Wines book club

Nothing to Fear (Final Hour Book 2)
Juno Rushdan

Kyraryker’s quotes

Historical Fiction Crowd sourced - Romance edition

Chris' Fish Place has put out a call for some historical fiction recs. With some romance genre flavor, here are my recs.

Historical fiction with some romance

Roundheads and Cavaliers series by Stella Riley

#1 The Black Madonna

#2Garland of Straw

I've only read the first two in the series of four, but the focus is on the historical events and figures taking place during this time. The series follows two families, each has a highlighted character, with one family being a Roundhead and the other Cavaliers. The romance is lighter in these but I enjoyed the heck out of all the history going on, Riley is a gifted storyteller.

Renegades of the American Revolution series by Donna Thorland

#3 Mistress Firebrand

#4 The Dutch Girl

I've read all four in the series, only wrote reviews for these two, and loved each book. Again, the romance isn't the focus as we follow women impacted by the American Revolutionary War. There is a spy ring that ties the series together, loved all the history in this one and how Thorland centered women actively involved in the war and one's just trying to live their lives but actively impacted it just the same.

Goddess of Fire by Bharti Kirchner

1600s India with real historical figures and events with the author's interpretation of what their thoughts and feelings could have been behind some actions. Follows a seventeen year old India girl as she fights to not be thrown on her husband's funeral pyre, marries an Englishman, and fights for her country and culture.

Lovesick by Angeles Mastretta

A lot of the story takes place during the Mexican Revolution (1910-20) and spans nearly 50 years as we follow Emilia and her quest to live her life.

Romance Historical fiction

Robin Hood series by Marsha Canham

This is a three book series but I would only recommend the first two. The way the author weaved history, legend, and myths into the fictional story was brilliant. Real historical figures and events are throughout the story as you follow along with a heroine and hero falling in love. There's nothing cheesy here and I just loved this re imagined Robin Hood take.

Highland series by Marsha Canham

Again, I loved how this author weaved real historical events and figures into this romance. This is another three book series but the first two were the ones I really feel in love with. The heroine is English and the hero Scottish and this is during the Jacobite Rebellion. This is a look at how Scotland was devastated by these wars, Culloden is not shied away from here. If you start book one, make sure to have book two handy, as it continues the story of the hero and heroine. Also, expect to maybe shed a tear or two.

Rakes and Rogues of the Restoration series by Judith James

#1 Libertine's Kiss

This is a three book series, 1 and 3 are the ones I would recommend. The looming Civil War in the first book, with all the history and the two leads being swept away from it all, made for a highly entertaining read. The hero is loosely based on John Wilmot and my history loving heart couldn't get enough of this one. Very epic, sweeping historical romance feel.

Naked:  A Novel of Lady Godiva by Eliza Redgold

Told from Godiva's point of view, this is more romance than historical fiction but I still enjoyed this author's fictional take on Lady Godiva's life. The author also had the villain of the piece be a real life historical figure, Thurkill the Tall. The writing style takes a bit to get used to, kind of a poetic beat to it but I enjoyed this medieval time piece.

The Drowning Guard:  A Novel of the Ottoman Empire by Linda Lafferty

This has shades of grey characters that I became deeply invested in, their thoughts, feelings, and motivations. The story takes place in Istanbul (1820s) and the way the author writes it, it becomes a character in itself.

Truly by Mary Balogh

This has the Rebecca Riots in it and I loved how even though this takes place in the mid-1800s in Wales, the themes (economics and classism) addressed here felt very timely. The set of characters highlight different view points and ideas and I just loved everything about this.

Indigo by Beverly Jenkins

You really can't go wrong if wanting some history in your romance by picking up a Jenkins' book but this was one of my favorites of hers. There's a lot of history weaved into this story, real events and characters. Historical fiction is a great place to explore real events that impacted people that don't always make it into the history books. Jenkins does a great job personalizing events that feel lost in the past but still have impacts today.

Kris Kennedy

This is one of my favorite romance authors and if you're into historical romance, there are always real events and figures weaved into her stories. I couldn't even tell you how many hours have been lost googling things I've read in her books.

Rose Lerner and Courtney Milan

Lerner and Milan are two authors that if you like historical romance, they are a must read. They always have detailed historical settings and seem to be able to add elements that enrich my historical knowledge or get me actively engaged in new thoughts of the past.