whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

One Night More by Mandy Baxter

One Night More - Mandy Baxter

****Full Review****

2.7 stars

Harper is a political reporter who will do anything for the story, Galen is a strict by the book U.S. Marshal, and both can't keep their hands off of each other. After meeting at a bar Harper and Galen had one night of hot unbridled bedroom passion. Even though it was only one night they both developed feelings, however, due to the requisite Big Misunderstanding, Galen left Harper in the morning without so much as a fare thee well. Now, one year later, Harper has witnessed the murder of a U.S. Senator and Galen is assigned to help protect her as the senator's killer is looking to tie up his loose end, Harper.

Harper really annoyed me; heroines like her are the bane of my existence in romantic suspense. She constantly is trying to ditch her protective detail and withholds key evidence from the FBI. You could say Harper is bold, brash, and courageous or you could say she is pretty stupid. The way she disrespects and disregards Galen in his capacity of a U.S. Marshal is incredibly off putting. Galen is a strong, solid, if not generic hero. Together, they have some steamy bedroom scenes but because of Harper's attitude towards her situation and Galen's role in her protective detail and the Big Misunderstanding still hanging around, they are more often than not at odds.

The suspense story arc keeps the story rolling and sets a nice pace; this is an easy steady read. For a debut book, the writing is wonderfully solid; it's just that the characters slightly veered into caricature land at times. If you're new to romance you're probably going to like this but if you're a veteran you're going to recognize it's been done before and better. Readers of "Something About You" by Julie James will notice the similarities of plot and this story is written in the same vein. This author definitely has potential and I plan on reading the next book in the series to give her another chance. One Night More is good but it simply needed to give me more.