whiskeyinthejar

WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Romance book talk, reviews, recipes, and dog pictures

Blogger Site: WhiskeyintheJar Romance

Progress: 50%

Kyraryker’s quotes

So very much not for me

Seducing Lauren - Kristen Proby

Lauren is finally a divorced and free woman who is starting to really gain some traction in her profession, she writes erotica and has just had her books optioned for a movie. This is exciting but she can't let anyone know because if her ex-husband finds out, he'll come knocking on her door for more money, even more money than he is demanding now. After a threatening encounter with the ex, Lauren drives to the lawyer's office where we meet Ty. Ty is a tattooed lawyer who refuses to take Lauren's case as he immediately realizes there would be a conflict of interest. You see, he has had his eye on Lauren for a while and is finally starting to realize, staying away is not going to be an option.

Seducing Lauren is written in the first person point of view with chapters alternating between Ty and Lauren. The author does this fairly well but combined with the book's short choppy sentences and slow pace, it makes for an uneven flowing story. Ninety percent of this book is Lauren and Ty together with a lot of sex scenes, judging by the reviews a lot of people liked this but for me it felt like nothing was ever happening. I haven't read the previous book in the series so this could have also affected my feelings on never feeling invested because it's obvious Lauren and Ty were featured in that one. I do think this one could be read as a standalone, however. The other ten percent was Lauren dealing with her ex-husband. He makes occasional appearances each time getting more and more cartoon villain. The ending deals with a very explosive scene but the fallout and aftermath are all wrapped up fairly quickly that I never had time to become emotionally involved.

Lauren and Ty are good characters but neither had the heft to push them beyond cardboard cutout territory and without a solid supporting story, that in fact at times bored me, I have to say I'm just not a fan. Like I said, there are numerous 4 and 5 star ratings for this book so maybe the author's writing style is just not for me.